Delegate Update August 2018
Remember your delegate is your link to the House of Delegates and The Academy! We serve as representatives of you! The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics House of Delegates, as the voice of members, governs the profession and supports the Academy’s vision through policy and action. You can learn more about the House of Delegates by following this .
As your delegate my responsibilities include:
· Communicate member issues to the HOD
· Read all information received from HOD
· Communicate time sensitive information to PAND membership
· Write newsletter articles for district newsletters and the PAND newsletter
· Attend all HOD meetings.
· Vote on all motions
· Participate with affiliate policy calls
· Attend all PAND Board Meetings.
Taking action is very easy and only takes a few minutes of your time! Send your member of congress a message through the Academy’s Action Center and remember that your senators and representatives want to hear from you about these important issues!
Open action alerts found on https://www.eatrightpro.org/action-center currently include:
- Expanding Access to DSMT in Medicare (H.R. 5768)
- This bill removes barriers that Medicare patients face when accessing diabetes self-management training.
- Preventing Diabetes in Medicare Act (H.R. 3124/S. 1299)
- Passage of this bill would allow MNT to be provided for patients with prediabetes, which would improve health outcomes and save health care dollars.
- Preventive Health Savings Act (H.R. 2953/S. 2164)
- This bill would allow Congress to pass legislation that is fiscally responsible and that would improves long-term health outcomes in our country by extending the to typical Congressional Budget Office cost estimates to twenty years beyond the normal 10-year window for preventative health legislation. This change would offer significat recognition of the role that prevention plays in saving taxpayer dollars.
Code of Ethics
The 2018 Code of Ethics for the Nutrition and Dietetics Profession was effective as of June 1, 2018. Please be sure to review and share the information with all CDR credentialed practitioners. You can review the frequently asked questions by accessing the following .
Fall 2017 Mega Issue Fall 2017 Mega Issue Follow-Up
One of the major recommendations of the House of Delegates 2017 meeting was to ask the Academy and its units to develop a list of resources and programs in place to assist nutrition and dietetics practitioners advance their roles in public health. This list of resources can be accessed at the following link:
100th Meeting of the House of Delegates
The House of Delegates will meet in Washington, DC October 18-20, 2018. Once the agenda for the meeting and topics for consideration are communicated to us, we will be in touch with you to obtain your thoughts and recommendations. Look for an email later this month!
Thank you for allowing me to represent you this year. I encourage you to contact me if you have any questions at all concerning the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics or the House of Delegates.
Angela Tetteris, MS, RD, LDN
Chair of Delegates, representing Pittsburgh and the Northwest